Dauphin Child and Adolescent After-School Program -
Program: After School
Hours: After School (generally 12pm-8pm)
The purpose of the program is to help youth improve their social, emotional, and behavioral functioning in the home, school, and community settings by providing a routine of peer interaction, therapeutic activities, and individualized goal-setting. The program hours during the school year are 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM Monday through Friday, with the children in programing from 3:45PM to 7:45 PM. In the summer the program starts 2-3 hours earlier and ends earlier.
Services are provided to youth between the ages of 5-14 years old who have a mental health diagnosis. Common diagnoses include ADHD, ODD, Anxiety Disorders, and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Clients must be able to participate in a group setting with a 1:4 ratio.
Program's Therapeutic Approach
The After-School program is designed as a structured treatment program that provides evidenced-based therapeutic activities, individual goals and assignments, and group therapy. Clients may need improvement in areas such as anger management, coping skill, impulse control, problem solving, self-esteem, feeling identification, decision making, emotional regulation, social interaction, and creative expression. Additional therapeutic components may focus on recreation, assistance with homework, community outings, and family outreach.
Master's level interns may be accepted, depending on availability and current staffing.
The Intern Will be Required to:
- Become familiar with treatment plans and goals for the clients
- Understand and learn correct documentation standards
- Understand and comply with HIPAA and safety issues for clients
- Develop relationships with clients
- Assist staff in preparing each type of group and helping to present materials
- Eventually be primary in planning and executing an assigned group for the clients with the assistance of the staff.
- Students will have the opportunity to assist in two areas during their field experience: 1) case management
2) practicing behavior management techniques through client interaction
- Assist with filing and managing client charts, as well as, observing the process of completing client treatment plans and daily progress notes
Back to list